In this final week, take a moment to celebrate your progress. You are approaching the finish line of Bootcamp, so keep up the hard work!
Reminder – Blueprints due on May 22
Your Blueprint submissions are due on May 22, 2016 by 10:59:59 PM EDT. We recommend reviewing the following notes to help you complete your Blueprint:
- Blueprint Authorization Form: The Blueprint Authorization Form is different from the one submitted in your First Round Submission and requires new signatures from your Principal or Assistant Principal, and your Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent.
- Budget Template: Note that the examples included in the budget template are illustrative. Please adapt these examples to your makerspace. For ideas, see the readings in Lesson 5: Budgeting and Resources.
Bonus Opportunities to Connect with Makers
We hope you’ll continue to engage with the broader maker community after Bootcamp! Take a look at the following upcoming events:
- MakerBot Makeathons: Makeathons are a chance for educators to collaborate on 3D printing-related lesson plans and activities. See if one is coming to a city near you!
Looking for additional maker events? Check out this Maker Faire map.
As part of President Obama’s Nation of Makers initiative, the White House is hosting the 2016 National Week of Making (June 17 – 23) and National Maker Faire (June 18 – 19).
Interested in getting involved?
- Register for this National Week of Making webinar, scheduled for Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 1PM EDT, to learn more about the National Week of Making and ways to get involved locally.
- Nominate a White House Champion of Change by Wednesday, May 18, 2016. The White House is looking for people like you who are working to create spaces that empower more Americans to become tinkerers and innovators.
- Share your role in the Maker Movement, using #NationOfMakers and #WeekofMaking on Twitter and Facebook.
Welcome to week 5 of the CTE Makeover Bootcamp. Last Thursday, we hosted our final CTE Makeover Bootcamp office hours session, Creating a Budget, with Steve Davee from Maker Ed.
As a follow-up to this office hours session, please keep in mind that the CTE Makeover Challenge is a prize competition, not a grant. The budget submitted as part of your Blueprint is intended to provide judges an idea of how you are planning and organizing your space. Because one of the purposes of the Challenge is to share models of makerspaces with other schools, your budget is an important component of your Blueprint that provides an indication of the resources needed to implement your model. We would like to get an understanding of the full costs of your makerspace, so please list all items–including those that are Challenge prizes–along with their associated costs. You can include a note at the top of your budget to indicate line items that would be covered should you be selected to receive awards. Prize money should be used according to your local administrative requirements.
A huge thank you to all the maker experts that joined us for office hours during Bootcamp – it was wonderful to hear your input on making topics ranging from equipment, safety, community engagement, and budgeting. Recordings of all office hours sessions and Bootcamp webinars are available on our YouTube channel.
Reminder – Blueprints due in 2 weeks!
If you haven’t already, we encourage you to start completing your Blueprint, which is due on May 22, 2016 by 10:59:59 PM EDT. Note that your Blueprint will require the passcode from the Orientation webinar and signatures from your Principal or Assistant Principal, and your Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent. We look forward to receiving your submissions!
We hope you have had an excellent CTE Makeover Challenge experience so far. If you haven’t already, we invite you to take advantage of the Bootcamp tools and resources, including the opportunity to interact with making experts in the remaining office hours session, “Creating a Budget”, hosted by Maker Ed, on Thursday, May 5th, 4:00PM EDT. The office hours link was emailed to team leads in yesterday’s email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a reminder, watching the Lesson 0: Orientation & Overview webinar is required in order to submit a Blueprint.
To compete for the $200,000 in cash and additional in-kind prizes, please submit your Blueprint by 10:59:59PM EDT on Sunday, May 22, 2016. If you have any questions, feel free to email email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your submission!