Lesson 5: Budgeting and Resources
Make your plans a reality by drafting a budget and coming up with ways to gather the resources you will need to build a sustainable makerspace. Think about innovative ways you can use existing and low-cost resources to execute your vision.
- Crowdfunding through Online Platforms presented by DonorsChoose.org: Tips to secure resources, including how to create an effective online fundraising campaign
- Budgeting for your Makerspace presented by University of Michigan: Cost considerations for building and maintaining your makerspace
For Students & Educators
- Maker Ed, Makerspace Playbook, Ch. 3, p.11, “Tools & Materials”, Ch. 9, p.43, “Startups”, and p.61, “Sample Proposal and Budget to Submit to a Funder”
- PledgeCents, “Steps to Success”
- Makerspace.com, “High School Makerspace Tools & Materials”
- NYSCI, “NYSCI Maker Blueprint”, “How will the Maker Program be Funded and Sustained”, p.13 and “Budget”, p.14
- MakerBot, Strategies for Funding a MakerBot Innovation Center at Your University
- Budget: Draft a budget for your makerspace. Where will you source your equipment and materials? What are your “must have” items and your “nice to haves”? Consider both one-time and recurring expenses.
- Funding: How do you plan to fund the space? Consider the funding sources described in this lesson.
- Creating a Budget
Host: Maker Ed
This website contains information and resources from public and private organizations that may be useful to the reader. Inclusion of this information does not constitute an endorsement by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) or Luminary Labs of any products or services offered or views expressed. Blog articles provide insights on the activities of schools, programs, grantees, and other education stakeholders to promote continuing discussion of educational innovation and reform. Blog articles do not endorse any educational product, service, curriculum or pedagogy.
This website also contains hyperlinks and URLs created and maintained by outside organizations, which are provided for the reader’s convenience. ED and Luminary Labs are not responsible for the accuracy of the information contained therein.