CTE Makeover Challenge
Powered by Luminary Labs, LLC (“Luminary Labs”)
The prize competition hosted on www.ctemakeoverchallenge.com is being managed by Luminary Labs under contract with the U.S. Department of Education (Contract Number: ED-VAE-14-D-0006/0003).
ED and Luminary Labs may collect personal information about site visitors in order to conduct the Challenge. We will not collect personally identifiable information about you unless you choose to register for the Challenge. We do not give, share, sell, or transfer any personally identifiable information to a third party.
You will be asked to provide personally identifiable information (such as your name, email address, phone number, and professional affiliations) when making a submission to the Challenge. To enter the Challenge you will also be required to submit non-personally identifiable information including, but not limited to, images representing your submission, and answers to specific questions posed on the submission form. All submitted information is used only for the expressed purposes for which it is intended and is not made available to any third party.
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website, read pages, or download information, our website’s operating system will automatically record some general information about your visit.
During your visit, our web operating system will record:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service, such as “xcompany.com” or “xcompany.net” if you use a private Internet access account, or “yourschool.edu” if you connect from a college or university domain.
- The type of browser (such as “Chrome version X” or “Internet Explorer version X”) that you are using.
- The type of operating system that you use (such as Macintosh, Unix, or Windows).
- The date and time you visit our site, and the web pages that you visit on our site.
- The address of the previous website you were visiting, if you linked to us from another website.
- The city and state you are browsing from.
We use this information for statistical analysis, to help us make our site more useful to visitors. This tracking system does not record information about individuals.
Use of Information
ED and Luminary Labs may use your personally identifiable information for the purposes of conducting the Challenge and communicating with you about the Challenge. ED and Luminary Labs will not share with other external entities information submitted to or collected by ED and Luminary Labs, except with the judging panel for the purposes of evaluating entries and selecting CTE Makeover Bootcamp participants and Honorees. When the Honorees have been selected, ED and Luminary Labs will share the school names of the CTE Makeover Bootcamp participants and Honorees as disclosed by these entrants in the submission form. No other entrants’ personally identifiable information (PII) will be shared with the public.
ED will not share with other external entities information submitted to or collected by ED or by Luminary Labs, except for with partners participating in the Challenge, and publicizing the Honorees and the winning entries. When the Honorees have been selected, ED will share the Honorees’ school names, cities, and states with the public. No other contestants’ PII will be shared with the public.
Third Party Sharing Resulting From Legal Processes
As required by law, ED and Luminary Labs may share your information when legally compelled to do so. This may include to government entities or to third parties in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal processes. ED and Luminary Labs may also disclose personally identifiable information in order to protect and defend our legal rights, or defend against legal claims that have been, or may be brought against us. Additionally ED and Luminary Labs may share this information in order to protect the rights, property, or safety of you or another person. In this instance we may share your personally identifiable information with law enforcement or another entity we feel, in our judgment, may be able to protect you or the other person. Finally, should ED or Luminary Labs reasonably feel than any activities are unlawful we will report these activities to law enforcement.
Security of Your Information
Luminary Labs takes appropriate measures to secure and protect the privacy of your information. All information will be housed on the secure servers of Luminary Labs’s data storage provider. These servers are protected with generally available security technologies, including firewalls and data encryption. As a contractor to ED, Luminary Labs will share information with the ED. All such information will be housed on secured government systems that comply with Federal information management policies.
When you visit any website, its server may generate a piece of text known as a “cookie” to place on your computer. Placing cookie text allows websites to “remember” visitors’ preferences, surfing patterns and behavior while they are connected.
The cookie makes it easier for you to use the dynamic features of Web pages. Cookies from the Challenge website only collect information about your browser’s visit to the site; they do not collect any personal information about you.
There are two types of cookies, single session (temporary), and multi-session (persistent). Session cookies last only as long as your Web browser is open. Once you close your browser, the cookie disappears. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer for longer periods.
- Session Cookies: We use session cookies for technical purposes such as to enable better navigation through our site. These cookies let our server know that you are continuing a visit to our site.
- Persistent Cookies: We use persistent cookies to enable Google Analytics to differentiate between new and returning visitors to our site. A Google Analytics (a third-party analytics provider) persistent cookie remains on your computer between visits to the Challenge website for six months. Knowing if a user visited the Challenge website within the past six months tells us the difference between visitors and “unique visitors” or those who visit our website more than once during this time period). This is an industry standard and provides high-level information on the breadth of traffic to and content usage of our given digital services. It is a powerful, invaluable metric because it’s the only measure that accurately calculates how many individual users visited the Challenge website in a given time. Combined with total visits, it tells a more comprehensive story about users and their visit patterns.
If you do not wish to have session or persistent cookies stored on your machine, you can opt out or disable cookies in your browser. You will still have access to all information and resources on the Challenge website. However, turning off cookies may affect the functioning of some features of the site. Be aware that disabling cookies in your browser will affect cookie usage at all other websites you visit as well.
The Challenge website is not directed at children, and Luminary Labs and ED do not knowingly collect any information from individuals under the age of 13. Additionally you must be 18 years of age or older to enter the CTE Makeover Challenge.