- Call for First Round SubmissionsMarch 9, 2016
- First Round Submission DeadlineApril 1, 2016
- CTE Makeover BootcampApril 11 - May 22, 2016
- Blueprint DeadlineMay 22, 2016
- Prize Winners AnnouncedJune 17, 2016
- Makerspace Build OutJune - September 2016
- current stagePrize Winner ShowcaseOctober 1, 2016 at the World Maker Faire
About The Challenge
The U.S. Department of Education invited schools to enter the CTE Makeover Challenge by submitting a design for a CTE makerspace. Makerspaces provide students the materials and environment they need to create, invent, tinker, and explore, helping them build vital career skills, including critical thinking, planning, communication, and problem solving.
All eligible schools had access to the CTE Makeover Bootcamp, a 6-week program that provided resources and expertise in makerspace design and planning. Up to 10 prize winners will each receive $20,000 in cash and other prizes to turn their vision for a makerspace into a reality.
What is Making? What is a Makerspace? Click here to learn more.
Take a video tour of the winning makerspaces:
CTE Makeover Bootcamp
During this phase of the Challenge, all eligible entrants had access to master classes,
online learning resources, and experts to plan their makerspace.
Up to 10 Schools will win prizes to help build their makerspaces.
Total Cash Prize Pool
Prizes awarded under this competition will be paid by electronic funds transfer and may be subject to Federal income taxes.
ED is excited to offer additional in-kind prizes donated by the following organizations:
- Etsy Manufacturing
- LEGO Education
- Maker Ed
- Makey Makey
- Mozilla Foundation
- National Coalition of Certification Centers (NC3)
- Snap-on Incorporated
- TIES Teaching Institute for Excellence in STEM (TIES)
- Fab Foundation
- U.S. Fab Lab Network